I’d Rather Be Channel Surfing
No big woop, just coming to drop a little statistically relevant factual funtime knowledge.
You’ll probably spend 13 years of your life watching TV.
- 99% of American households have at least one TV
- Most of us have more than 3
- 66% watch TV instead of talking to their family during dinner
- 49% say they watch too much (but just keep on at it)
Now, some math that equals money.
- 16 – 18 minutes of every hour of TV is commercials
- That’s about 8 hours of commercials every week
- Americans make, on average, about $22 / hour
- You’re already paying a cable bill, so every commercial you watch is essentially you paying to have advertisers tell you about their product
- If they paid you to learn about their product (as they should – um, they’re taking up your time), 8 hours of commercials at $22 / hour would net you $175 extra bucks a week
You’ll spend 3 1/2 years of your life watching commercials.