How to Crop an Image Using WordPress Default Functionality
Say you’ve uploaded an image to WordPress, something like this:
But maybe the place it’s showing up in your theme wants a small, square crop of the image. With this one, it would look like this:
Now, maybe I don’t like that his shoulder is getting cut off. Let’s edit it.
1. Go into the Media section, by clicking the appropriate link in the left side navigation (where you see Dashboard, Posts, Media, etc.)
2. Find and click on the image you want to edit. Note that you can search or sort by date if the image isn’t immediately visible.
3. Click on the image, an overlay will appear like this:
4. Click the Edit button
5. Drag a square over the image like you want the final cropped image to appear.
6. Click the Crop button, it’s the one furthest to the left in the image above.
7. Click Save and you’re all set!